In Dental Mercury Amalgam Removal – A Key To Beating Lyme Disease? Part 1 I spoke of how mercury poisoning from dental “silver” fillings can derail your chances of beating Lyme disease and how there are two key things you can do to help yourself: supplement with selenium and replace your mercury fillings with a different material (again, so-called “silver” fillings are really 50% mercury). Now I am going to get into the exact protocol for supplementing with selenium, and in Part 3 I will discuss the proper way to have your fillings replaced and the material choices, all of which I learned from an extraordinary allergist/immunologist who successfully treated many chronically ill individuals and who is now retired.
Selenium is an essential nutrient for everyone – whether you are ill or not or are poisoned from mercury fillings or not. Selenium detoxifies poisons and harmful chemicals. Selenium binds to and neutralizes poisonous heavy metals found in the environment; thus, it is necessary for critical immune system functions, and has also been found to be protective against cancer and “free radicals, mutagens, toxic heavy metals and certain bacterial, fungal and viral pathogens.”
Mercury deprives your body of selenium and so supplementing with selenium will overcome this problem. Many chemically-sensitive and mercury-sensitive people will improve by using selenium daily. Certain people will respond differently to selenium:
1. Some people will notice an immediate benefit in how they feel within a few days of starting to supplement with selenium. Not only will they feel better, but they will be able to tolerate more chemicals.
2. Others will have more of a slow improvement and may not be aware of the progress they are making until they suddenly realize they are in fact tolerating more things, e.g. car fumes, and other exposures without adverse reactions.
3. The third group of people initially react in a seemingly unfavorable way to the selenium. This group is generally the most sensitive, the most sick, and need selenium the most, but are initially not able to handle it. It will take longer for this group of people to benefit from the selenium, and can take up to 6 months of being free of their mercury fillings before they can tolerate and feel benefits from selenium. At that point, they often find that they can begin to increase the amount of selenium they are taking. The reason for this ultra-sensitive groups initial apparent unfavorable reaction to the selenium is that selenium combines with metals and forms compounds which these people may not tolerate.
Again, selenium is an essential nutrient, not a medication, and is an over-the-counter supplement.
Below is what you need to begin supplementing with selenium. Note that selenium needs to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach as other substances found in foods will prevent its absorption by binding to the selenium. *Wait 15-20 minutes after taking the selenium to eat or drink anything.
OK, you are going to need three things to begin this selenium supplementation protocol:
1. Liquid Selenium (Allergy Research Group or Nutricology brand). The reason for taking selenium in liquid form is that it is better absorbed and is chemically pure – it is not mixed with other vitamins or minerals. You need to keep the selenium in the refrigerator once it is opened, as well as the glass bottle filled with the selenium.
Allergy Research Group – Selenium Solution, 8 Oz, Hypoallergenic Liquid Based Selenium
3. A small PLASTIC funnel to be able to pour the liquid selenium into the dropper without spilling any (the funnel cannot be metal as a metal funnel will inactivate the Selenium).
In the morning, first brush your teeth (fluoride-free toothpaste please) and then take the selenium, that way by the time you are ready to eat your breakfast – 15-20 minutes – you will have absorbed much of the selenium.
Suggested schedule for taking the selenium (group 3 may have to go slower in the amount they take each day until their fillings have been out for some months)
Day 1 – 1 drop
Day 2 – 2 drops
Day 3 – 4 drops
Day 4 – 7 drops
Day 5 – 9 drops
Day 6 – 11 drops
Day 7 – 13 drops
Day 8 – 15 drops
Day 9 – 17 drops
Day 10 – 20 drops
Day 11 – Take 1/2 dropperful + 1/2 dropperful + 1/2 dropperful (which is 1 and 1/2 dropperfuls total)
On Day 12 and each day thereafter, continue at the 1 and 1/2 dropperful level which is the daily maintenance amount.
Lastly, some people may for convenience sake want to try selenium in a veggi capsule from Now brand selenium (as selenomethionine) 200mcg 1 x day in the morning as noted above, as this does not need to be kept in the fridge. The doctor I learned all of the above from said that taking selenium in the liquid form is the best way to go because you will absorb more, however, but the Now brand 200mcg Vcaps (as selenomethionine) is a good second choice although it may not be quite as effective as the liquid. Also, you are never supposed to take more than 200mcg of selenium a day from supplements or it could lead to selenium toxicity. Lastly, always take vitamin C at least 2 hours apart from selenium as the vitamin C will interfere with your utilization of selenium.
In Part 3 of Dental Mercury Amalgam Removal – A Key To Beating Lyme Disease? I will explain the process of having your mercury fillings replaced and some options for safe replacement materials!
Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, November 20, 2008
Mercury Dental Amalgams Banned in 3 Countries
FDA, EPA, ADA Still Allow and Encourage Heavy-Metal Fillings